Welcome to the apex-training institute of one of the largest and best power companies in the world, which powers the growth of the fastest growing major economy in the world- the Indian economy. Welcome to the Power Management Institute of NTPC Ltd.
Located in the National Capital Region, well connected to Delhi by a state-of-the-art expressway, the Institute has a sprawling 10 acre campus in Sector-16A, NOIDA, in the centre of fast growing IT parks and knowledge hubs which are home to MNC’s from across the globe. It faces the green belt along the banks of the Yamuna, and the famous Okhla Bird Sanctuary is only 5 km. away. PMI is well connected to all major markets and commercial centres of the National Capital Region.
The Institute is capable of conducting upto 13 programmes simultaneously on any particular day. The lecture rooms, conference and seminar rooms are equipped with the very latest in teaching aids and audio- visual facilities. Syndicate rooms for small group activities are also available. For large gatherings and conferences, the Institute has a plush 500-seater auditorium.
PMI draws on diverse sources to bring together thought leaders in its calm and serene environs, from practicing professionals in the large in-house talent pool of NTPC, to industry experts, consultants and academics from leading business schools. This creates a learning environment that simultaneously educates and enriches.
Strategic Alliances and Institutional Collaboration
We are always on the lookout for opportunities to partner with premier educational/consulting institutions and benefit from exposure to their learning processes. In the context of strategic alliances, we have tie-ups with the following agencies:
- Harvard Business School for Leadership Development Program for Senior Executives of NTPC at the level of ED’s and GM’s.
- IIM A, IIM B, IIM C and ISB for AGMs shortlisted for second phase of screening for GMs.
- Educational Consultants India Limited (EDCIL) for preparing feasibility reports of setting up institutes of technology.
- International Management Institute (IMI), Delhi for delivering leadership development programmes for top management.
- IIM Indore for Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Project Management (PGCPM).
- IIM-Ahmedabad for knowledge creation.
PMI has, from time to time, entered into institutional collaboration with leading institutes like Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun, Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad and National Power Training Institute (NPTI) units for providing appropriate training interventions, developing case studies and providing consultancy in relevant fields. Many reputed training agencies have been empanelled by us for conducting outbound training modules, and academic management institutes also conduct general management modules for our executive trainees as well as other participants. In fact, institutional collaboration is an on-going activity depending upon emerging needs.
The Institute has, over the years, trained a large number of professionals in India and abroad in diverse areas of technical and managerial disciplines. In fact 20% of our total number of participants are from external organizations. Some of our customers are:
- Power Sector executives of United Arab Emirates
- Dubai Electricity and Water Authority
- Reliance Power
- Tehri Hydro Development Corporation
- Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam
- CPSE’s of Power Sector
- State Government Power Utilities
- Other Independent Power Producers
NTPC has acquired considerable expertise in Project Management, Operation & Maintenance Management and offers Consultancy Services to other power utilities in these areas. In addition, NTPC is establishing its presence in Power Trading, Hydel Power Station Construction, Operation & Maintenance, Captive Coal Mining & Washeries and Solar Power Generation. PMI, in accordance with the HR Vision of the Company, has focused on building the competence and commitment of Team NTPC, and provides the platform for sharing knowledge and practical experience gained in these areas through its various training programmes, seminars and workshops.
Developing the Leaders of Today and Tomorrow
We believe that leadership can be developed at all levels, and, to that end, we have put in place a series of leadership development interventions at critical transition levels in the organizational hierarchy, from functional specialist to junior manager, from junior to middle management, and from middle to senior management. We share our approach with customers and create transformational learning experiences for them. At PMI, we create a culture where learning drives strategy and leaders are moulded and prepared to succeed now as well as in the future. The large number of leaders NTPC has provided to the power sector over the years reflects the success of our philosophy.
Details of our leadership development interventions are given in the subsequent section.
PMI faculty have undertaken various international assignments like providing simulator-based power plant operators’ training to executives of United Arab Emirates at M/s ABB Transmission and Distribution Ltd. training centre, Abu Dhabi, and conducting training on various aspects of operation and maintenance of gas power plants for engineers of Dubai Water and Electricity Authority (DEWA) at Dubai. Power professionals from Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, Oman, Iraq and Bangladesh have been trained at PMI on a range of issues relating to power plants. We plan to expand this portfolio by providing training to other countries of Middle East and South Asia.
Research and Consultancy
We offer consultancy services in Human Resource Management areas like Manpower Planning, Organizational Behaviour, Training Needs Analysis, HR Systems and Manuals, Organization Development etc. PMI has conducted various assignments for State power utilities in recent years as a consequence of reforms and restructuring programmes in the power sector. We are also currently engaged in leading research in several techno managerial areas relating to the power sector through our Senior Research Fellowship programme.
We have also led several organisational development interventions like team building, communication dynamics, project management, knowledge management etc.
Some of our key initiatives for promoting education and training for internal and external customers are :
- E-learning facility which allows learners to learn at their own pace and convenience and contains courses in the disciplines of Operation and Maintenance of Power Stations, Turbine Overhauling, Project Management etc. PMI has started in-house development of e-learning modules using internal subject matter experts and proprietory software.
- Long duration training programme for Executive Trainees entering the organization.
- Conducting various departmental examinations for elevation to the executive cadre.
- Conducting International Conference on Cases & Research in Energy Sector.
- Conducting customized comprehensive programme on Power Plant Familiarisation ranging from one week to twelve weeks for newly recruited executives of external clients.
- Operation, Maintenance and Efficiency Improvement for power sector professionals.
- Launching of an on-going scheme of strengthening the Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) across the country by investing in their infrastructure upgradation, starting of new trades, teaching and opening new classrooms, etc.
- Deputing participants to training programmes of leading national institutes for getting cutting-edge knowledge and skills in their respective disciplines.
- Foreign training sponsorships to courses offered by leading international institutes for giving world-class inputs.
- Training initiatives on Enterprise Risk Management, Strategic Management, Boundary Management and other Leadership Development programmes for senior management.
- Gender Sensitization workshops for building a Collaborative Work Culture across NTPC, in association with the National Commission for Women.
- Employee Assistance Programme under the aegis of “SNEHAL” for providing free counseling services to employees and their family members on all personal and professional issues.
Leveraging IT Driven Platforms
The IT needs of the institute are met through campus-wide LAN which supports and integrates two computer labs and administrative offices. The centralized labs are equipped with desktops and have the capacity to train about fifty participants simultaneously, catering to both high-end and low-end user needs. High-speed Internet connectivity is now available not only in the PMI institutional area but also in the rooms of the residential complex where the participants and the trainees stay. We have Wi-fi facility in the entire institutional area for mobile access to knowledge.
We are expanding our reach through IT platforms such as Augmented and Virtual reality, Video-Conferencing, Web- Conferencing and e-learning to provide training at the doorstep of the employee. Programmes are conducted in technical and managerial areas for our executives posted at various NTPC locations across the country.
Faculty - Facilitating the Learning Experience
PMI faculty deal with a wide spectrum of participants ranging from executive trainees to senior executives in the organization and the power sector. Faculty members work closely with the participants to enable them to transfer what has been learnt to the work place. The dedicated pool of faculty expertise in PMI consists of in-house expertise of NTPC faculty and is further enriched by a pool of reputed academicians from IITs, IIMs and power sector professionals external to NTPC.
Faculty development is an ongoing activity for us. Our trainers absorb the latest techniques for building competencies through "Training for Trainers" programmes, attending seminars and workshops in their respective disciplines and publishing books and research papers and articles in leading journals and magazines.
Other Infrastructural Facilities-Creating a Learning Environment
A learning community requires a proper learning ambience. The knowledge bank of PMI, the Learning Resource Centre (LRC) has a large collection of latest books, journals, databases and information products in print as well as in electronic media. The LRC also has a referencing facility available over the Institute LAN whereby any book on any topic can be known instantaneously through the LIBSYS software. There is an E-library with more than 100000 books, articles, and journals accessible all the time to all participants, thus enabling learning at doorstep.
A innovative fly ash based mural has been installed at the entrance of PMI resembling NTPC’s Portfolio. This shows NTPC’s commitment towards environment and induces our participants to be more sensitive towards environment.
We have renovated our classrooms with modern technology aids to facilitate learning, along with large LCDs to facilitate multiple inputs and to run presentations thru mobile and IPad.
A separate Augmented and Virtual Reality centre has been established, to provide real life like immersive learning through 3D visualization of our plant system, thus enabling a new dimension to learning experience.
Work-life Balance for the participants is achieved through our recreational and sporting facilities which include a Swimming Pool, Gymnasium, Lawn Tennis Court, Badminton Court and also the facilities for indoor games like Table Tennis, Billiards, Carom and Chess.
Residential facilities for participants include fifty fully furnished air-conditioned double rooms, and nineteen suites. For executive trainees there are 89 furnished air-conditioned double rooms.
A 150 kW roof-top photovoltaic solar plant has been installed under the initiative of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, thus resulting in saving of electricity cost and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
A 6.5 KW solar tree has been recently installed, which supplies to Electric Vehicle charging station and integrated with both type of charger i.e AC and DC. The solar tree is inbuilt with single axis tracking system, thus making solar tree 19% efficient.
Electric Vehicle charging station powered by Solar Tree is designed for minimum energy transactions from the grid.
Biogas plant from Kitchen Waste has been installed to produce Biogas to be used for cooking in Kitchen.
Nominations for programmes at the institute are to be sent at least three weeks before the commencement of the programme. The institute will duly confirm the acceptance of the nomination. Nominations can also be sent by e-mail or directly from PMI website.
External organizations should remit the course fee in the name of "NTPC Limited" through crossed cheque/demand draft payable at par anywhere in India.
e-payment can be made through NEFT/RTGS transactions for which the payee bank details and tax numbers are given below.
- It may be noted that communication of e-payment that has been made, by emailing screenshot of NEFT/RTGS payment transaction details to email@example.com
- TDS Certificate in respect of payments made may be emailed quarterly to firstname.lastname@example.org under prevailing income tax rules. NTPC PAN AAACN0255D may be used to download TDS certificate from TRACES website of income tax department.
Bank Name : Punjab and Sind Bank
Branch Address : Plot A-8-A, Sector-24, Noida-201301,
Distt. Gautam Budh Nagar (U.P.)
Type of A/c : Current Account
A/c No. : 08651100101001
NEFT IFSC Code: PSIB0001029
MICR Code: 110023078
RTGS IFSC Code: PSIB0001029
Service Tax Registration No. : AAACN0255DST008
PAN : AAACN 0255 D
TAN : DELNO 5281 D
TIN : 09865900280
The programmes are usually conducted at the PMI campus at NOIDA. A few decentralized programmes are conducted at the specified projects or other venues as indicated in the programme details.
Further enquiries may be addressed to:
Programme Services Group,
Power Management Institute,
Plot No. 5-14, Sector 16A, NOIDA 201301
Dist: Gautam Budh Nagar (UP), India
Telephones: 0120-2416815, 0120-2478256
EPABX Board: 0120-2416830 / 31 / 38
Fax: 0120-2416860 and 0120-2416846
Website: http://www.pmintpc.com and